Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Swinging with the long rod...

Yesterday my buddy Dan and I spent half the day wading the St Joe below Berrien Springs swinging flies. This was not just a scouting mission, Dan also did his best to refine my spey casting technique. Occasionally I was consistently making decent skagit style casts but when he started to get into the "585 grains and a 10 foot cheater" and "remember the 180 degree rule...you know about that I'm sure" talk I pretended not be confused!

Okay, so I'm of Scottish ancestry and for whatever reason always preferred Irish whiskey but Dan has me sipping good Scotch now. As of yesterday he's convinced me to give a shit about spey casting as well and he always reminds me that I should be an expert because I'm "a Scot". Thanks old buddy!

We didn't hook anything or see anything for that matter but that was the first time in several outings the past week that Dan didn't.

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment